I was evaluating to build a social networking site using open source stuff like Drupal, Elgg. Elgg provides out of the box functionality for a social networking site like Orkut, Hi5, Myspace, but Drupal is far more flexible. It seems Elgg is not tested and used as much as Drupal. I have been working on Drupal for a long time now and my faith on it has only increased, though, I had to make changes to the code and modules at times.
Even though, I was skeptic about Elgg, I did some initial code evaluation and installtion. But, was not satisfied and therefore, decided to go with Drupal.
Following is the list of modules, I could need to make a social networking site:
- guestbook ( equivalent to comments on profile or scraps )
- image, inline, shazamgaller: to be able to add images inline and create photo gallaries.
- invite ( allows to become member by invitation only )
- OG ( gives you groups or communities )
- cck ( let you make any type of content )
- private message ( and chat, if you want )
- mysite
- nodeprofiles (http://groups.drupal.org/profiles-as-nodes)
- event
- buddylist
Other modules, you might need:
- bbcode & wysiwyg toolbar
- captchya
- devel
- feedback
- flatforum
- flexinode
- legal
Hope, the list doesn't look long. But, it is obvious code customization iwould be required at places to suit your need and that is very power of open source comes.

6 comments:
Good day! My spouse and I often write guest articles or
blog posts for other site owners to help increase exposure
to our work, as well as provide terrific articles to site owners.
It's a win win situation! If you happen to be interested feel free to email me at: karolynholder@aol.com so we can discuss further. Kudos!
Look into my blog - furnace brands names
Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally,
it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
You definitely know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to
your site when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?
Feel free to surf to my webpage; find short term rentals
I like what you guys are up too. This sort of clever work and reporting!
Keep up the terrific works guys I've you guys to our blogroll.
Also visit my webpage studio shoes on zappos
Appreciating the time and effort you put into your website and detailed information you
provide. It's nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same outdated rehashed material.
Excellent read! I've saved your site and I'm adding
your RSS feeds to my Google account.
Here is my page :: how to make an electric circuit science project
We have gone ahead and added a link back to your website from one of my clientele requesting it.
We have used your web site URL: http://www.
blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=1854313330961038007&postID=8718925496828249032 and blog title:
Blogger: Stephen on Drupal to make sure that you get the correct anchor text.
If you woud like to check out where your link has been placed, please e
mail me at: clifton.morin@gmail.com. Thank you
my page ... wafer fabrication fundamentals
Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.
Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thanks
Also visit my homepage :: home appliances online shopping singapore
Post a Comment